From MVDDC Chair, Maritza Zermeno:
Below is the list of candidates who will qualify to be in the primary election on March 3, 2020. Paul Jameson got the information from the Virginia Department of Elections just before the deadline – thank you, Paul!
Candidates had to submit petitions with 5,000 signatures from qualified voters, with at least 200 signatures from each of the 11 congressional districts. As of 12/13/19, the list includes:
- Bernie Sanders – 13,396 signatures
- Tom Steyer – 13, 287 signatures
- Pete Buttigieg- 12,300 signatures
- Amy Klobuchar- 9,038 signatures
- Tulsi Gabbard- 9,000 signatures
- Joe Biden – 8,757 signatures
- Cory Booker – 8, 688 signatures
- Andrew Yang – 8,138 signatures
- Elizabeth Warren – 7,900 signatures
- Marianne Williamson – 7,424 signatures
- Michael Bennet- 7,300 signatures
- Michael Bloomberg- 7,000 signatures
- Deval Patrick – 5,971 signatures
I hope your favorite candidate made the list. Let’s remember that we have excellent Democratic candidates including 2 Rhodes Scholars while the Republicans are running somebody who has a hard time completing a proper English sentence.
Fun facts about the Mount Vernon District: As of 2018, the average age is 37.1 years; 23% of residents are foreign born; and, 31% speak a language other than English at home.